iCREDITS educational components introduce smart grid technologies through informal education and after school programs, host summer camp experiences for high school students, and provide smart grid workshops, both on and off campus, as field trips for visiting groups and roadshow experiences through formal education collaborations.
The iCREDITS afterschool curriculum was developed by Dr. Susan Brown, in conjunction with the iCREDITS Leadership Team, and is offered in collaboration with the Science, Engineering, Mathematics and Aerospace Academy (SEMAA), NASA Glenn Research Center, and the NMSU STEM Outreach Center.
- Lesson One: Introduction – Climate Change & Smart Grids (4 hours)
- Lesson Two: “Watts” the Cost? (2 hours)
- Lesson Three: Alternative Energy: The Wind! (6-8 hours)
- Lesson Four: Alternative Energy: The Sun! (4 hours)
- Lesson Five: Data Mining (4-6 hours)
- Lesson Six: Keep the Heat or Cold – Insulate! (2-4 hours)
* Lessons reflect the research being conducted by the NMSU Smart Grid CREST Center’s Research labs of the Leadership Team and are appropriate for the grade level of the student participants in the after school program setting.
Resources for Teachers include the Course Modules:
- Climate Change
- Alternative Sources of Energy: Wind
- Wind Energy Challenge
- Mars Rover
- Rainfall in NM
- Data for large data mining activity
Components within each module:
- Background material for teachers
- More resources for teachers and students
- National/State/Local standards
- Materials needed
- Questions to stimulate discussion